Friday, September 16, 2016

Fresh Corn Dip


It's a sad day when fresh corn is almost gone.  I love to buy it during the too-short season, but I have a tough time using up a dozen ears.  As a result, I usually have at least a few leftover ears of cooked fresh corn in my refrigerator I need to use up.  There are lots of ways to use up fresh cooked corn, but I had never tried it in a dip before. 

Usually corn dip is baked (and it's fabulous, by the way), but this fresh version is so unique & different than other summer dips.  If I were to make it again (cold) - I would eliminate the cheese.  You just don't need it.  But if you are baking it - by all means, don't forget it.  

A friend I work with in my mission is 88 years (young), but has had some recent heart problems.  When I bring something to share with everyone, I try to adapt it so she can enjoy it too.  "Slimming down" a recipe can be tricky - no salt, no fat, no sugar, etc...  I took a chance and put together a small portion for her by eliminating the garlic salt, mayo, sour cream, and cheese.  I substituted greek yogurt for the mayo & sour cream - adding just enough to hold it together.  Garlic powder instead of garlic salt.  I was totally surprised - I preferred the healthy version hands down.  It tasted so FRESH and not so heavy.  Next time I'll skip all the extras, and feel good about enjoying it.




No comments:

Post a Comment